Sunday, August 30, 2009

Day 80 – Friday, August 28, 2009

Today was a day of making repairs to the boat! Every thing fell into place as the day progressed. I started working at 7 am to remove both alternators and found out the Generator cover was in the way so it also was removed. There wasn’t a mechanic available to have the alternators checked or repaired within a one hundred miles so I hired a car and driver to take me to Sudbury to an alternator repair shop. John went along for technical and moral support – or maybe a road trip and lunch! I called ahead and after an hour and a half drive through the woods we arrived at the shop. The alternator shop mechanic told me the problem wasn’t major but could be repaired by replacing a terminal on each alternator. He said that this is a very common problem with Mercury marine engine alternators! Two hours later every thing was repaired and we headed back to the boat. The weather was turning and I was racing the clock to get the boat put back together. On our return every thing went as planed and by 7 pm, both engines were running!

It wasn’t very long after I had the tools picked up and the engine covers closed that the winds picked up and the boat started to rock - and roll - and rock!