Sunday, August 30, 2009

Day 79 – Thursday, August 27, 2009

Another perfect day to cruise! We passed through some of the most spectacular scenery I have ever experienced.

About half way to Killarney we experienced a major engine problem – both batteries were loosing their charge and most systems were shutting down and alarms were going off! I was able to work around the problem by starting my generator and running on the battery charger to get me to port. It sure was comforting to have John standing by to assist if we got into more problems in the middle of no where.

After securing the boat to the dock I went into the engine compartment looking for something obvious. It didn’t take long to locate a broken wire on the starboard engine and the identical wire on the port engine about to fall off the alternators. I tried to get a mechanic to no avail. Frank the town mechanic said he would put me on the list but wasn’t sure when he could look at it! Then he said he would probably have to send the alternators to Sudbury for repairs etc & etc. To me it sounded like four or five days for him to do the work. It’s now decision time…………..do I wait for the mechanic………..or try to repair it myself?