Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Day 59 – Wednesday, July 21, 2010

46° 40.056’ N
090° 53.280’ W
Washburn, Wisconsin

It’s been a great day getting here. North of here it was a little choppy but when we turned south every thing got better but not perfect. Our arrival into the harbor was windy and getting from the fuel dock to our slip was tricky at best. I attempted to back down the fairway from the gas dock for I could try a bow in approach to our assigned slip. It didn’t work as the wind blew the boat away from the slip. A few of the regulars came on to the dock to help if needed and I was able to spin her around and back her in on my first approach. The good part was when Dianne one of the local boaters came on the dock and held up a large #7 for my grade on docking. She said I would have done much better if I could have docked her on my first try!

Loading taconite in Silver Bay
We spent the rest of the day cleaning iron dust from the boat as we were close to where they load the supper bulk carriers when in Silver Bay. A little red dust goes a long way on a white boat.

We dined at a great restaurant called The Steak Pit.....great food and drink!

We plan to depart from here tomorrow am and proceed east to Black River Harbor in Michigan. We are planning to rejoin and continue cruising with the Flints in the latter part of the month. We talked with Barb and John tonight and their arrival date at their boat is the 28th of July. Even with weather as a possible factor, I think we will be there on time or close to that date.